Shop Phases To Forever

Monday, April 25, 2011

Detox Bath- Take II

I was out shopping at our local co-op this week when I spied this...


Then I got home and saw this article speaking about toxins can cause weight gain.  Toxins and chemicals are all around us, it is unavoidable. 

Don't go crazy, but do what you can to help in eliminating them from your home and body.  Eating organically was a huge step for our family but the benefits it brings are irreplaceable.  Trading out the cleaning products in your home, laundry and dishwasher soaps, room sprays and deodorants, lotions and soaps are a easy switch now a days with all the wonderful and comparably priced, available products at your small and big box stores. 

Using the Detox Bath is a great way to help your body if it is feeling congested, weighted or sluggish.  Brain fog, lethargy and muscle soreness are some severe symptoms but what about just feeling tired, hormonal or just plain "a little bit lazy"!  This will help.  Trying either one will help you feel rested and give you the bounce back into your step the next morning.  I think this new Detox Bath- Take II is great for skin rashes, irritations or sunburns too.  The added vinegar helps in balancing the pH and soothing the skin.  The ginger makes it smell nice too!

Detox Bath- Take II
(Bulk recipe)
2 C epsom salt
2 C sea salt
2 C aluminum free baking soda
5 TB ground ginger
1 C vinegar

Combine all dry ingredients, store in a closed container.  During bath time, add 1 cup of dry ingredients mix and 1 cup vinegar to hot running water.  Soak 20-40 minutes.  Enjoy!

Benefits:
Epsom Salt draws out toxins from your body while relieving aches and pains.
Sea Salt soothes and heals blemishes and open wounds.
Baking Soda balances and over acidic system, leaving you refreshed, energized while softening the skin.
Ground Ginger increases circulations, aiding in the eliminations of toxins.
Vinegar soothes and soften dry, itchy skin while balancing the bodies and neutralizing the bodies pH.

23 comments:

  1. Is the ground ginger fresh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would I be correct I were to assume this would be used with apple cider vinegar? I know white vinegar can be very harsh and mixed with baking soda it can clean out hair clogs in your sink. Makes great science experiments too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started getting the first signs of a cold today and I tried this. I also figured I could give myself a pedicure while I was sitting there soaking. I literally just got out of the bathtub so it's hard to tell how well it works but I do feel much better so far. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found this on Pinterest!

    Is your local co-op Valley Natural Foods by any chance? If so, I think I recognize the font on the sign ... the same as on my nametag. :)

    Rachel (produce)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being yeast free I don't use vinegar but will try the rest to see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think witch hazel could be substituted for vinegar, right? I tried this, and I didn't have sea salt, so i used a small portion of regular salt and filled the rest of the 2 cups with powdered milk. I did use the vinegar, not witch hazel. I must say it feels fantastic! It probably doesn't have the same detoxing effect, but my skin feels soooo amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With all these ingredients soaking in the bathtub, is it safe for a woman to do this? I mean if bubble baths can cause a yeast infection wouldn't this stuff do the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bubble bath has all kind of bad chemicals, the vinegar alone would prevent a yeast infection.

      Delete
    2. Bubble baths don't cause yeast infections! They cause urinary track infections & bladder infections!

      Delete
  9. This may be a weird question, but does this smell bad? I can't imagine sitting in a bath if the odor is so bad I can't stand it, even if it is good for me. I would like to try though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no...the smell was very fresh and clean

      Delete
  10. I tried this today and I loved it. Its doesnt smell bad I used Apple Cider Vinegar and honestly with the ginger it made me think of apple cinnamon, in other words kinda fruity. I do recommend rinsing off in the shower real quick just to get the ginger off. For me it just felt better. I know other detox baths that recommend it to get any lingering toxins off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also found lavander scented epsom salt with I used and it smelled great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used ginger and apple cider vinegar. One thing we realized right away was not to be in the same room when you initially start the bath and add the detox mix in. The smell can be overwhelming. Once diluted in a full tub or maybe added after the tub is fairly full is better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am old enough to remember when my mother taught me to deuche (sp?) with white vinegar and water!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made a large batch of this and when I was suffering from some muscle strains used it. Then that same day our 24 y/o son came home from the gym hurting so I suggested he soak in this as it had tremendous affects for me. His concern was smelling like vinegar. I asked him, well do I smell like vinegar and he said no so he gave it a try. Now he is sold on it. My husband has been in serious pain for the past several days with his lower back, been going to the chiropractor, on ice paks, taking pain relief, etc.... I suggested this to him and he was pleasantly surprised at how it helped. Also relaxed him. We are totally sold on this. As for the smell, I try to buy epsom salts with chamomile or lavender in them, makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i made this early this morning since couldnt go to sleep. i have chronic neck and back pain so i figured id give it a try and as soon as i stepped in thereit felt amazing! i only had about 1/4 cup of sea salt, i used cinnamon instead of ginger, and used white distilled vinegar. i must have been dehydrated because when i got out half the water was left in the tub and my body felt very heavy and i was exhausted. i dont know about waking up rejuvenated as i did not get any sleep but i do feel much more comfortable. surprisingly the baking soda felt lovely on my skin and the cinnamon smelled delicious! Definately something to try again ive never been so relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is this safe for your hair? I wonder if I should wear a shower cap for this just in case it dries out my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the salt will dry your hair do a cap would be a good move; but why not slather your hair with a good treatment (I use coconut oil) put the cap on and have a good deep co.ditioning treatment while you soak?

      Delete
  17. Is this safe to do if breastfeeding? Would it be ok to have a child sit in this? I'm in need of a good detox and my little one has had some rashes lately and is EB. She is 8 months old so not sure if she's too young for this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The temperature needed for this to be effective is way too high for an infant. I don't see why it wouldn't be safe for you though. Just rinse off so she doesn't get a funny tasting snack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do I just rinse or wash as usual ?

    ReplyDelete

Please add your own recipes, ideas and modifications. I would love to hear how you have made your meal.